1. Why did you go into business for yourself?
Because I wanted a job I would enjoy and have control over. I love photography so it seemed the logical choice. I’m a creative person and I get to be creative.
2. What do you like most about working for yourself?I only have myself to answer to. I don’t have to worry weather others are doing their job right or not. How much I make is completely up to how much effort I want to put into it and not up to someone else. Also I can work when I want and as long as I want. I never have to miss my sons play, field trip, or karate tournament. 3. What do you dislike the most?
If something goes wrong the only person the clients have to blame is me. I work very hard to make sure nothing goes wrong and when it does I always bite the bullet in favor of my client. It wasn’t their fault; they shouldn’t have to pay for it.
4. Why did you choose photography?
I am an artistic person and wanted a job I could create beautiful art. It is also rewarding to see the happy couples looking at their images for the first time and loving them.
5. What do you enjoy most in photography?
I enjoy weddings most which is why I specialize in them. The day of the shoot is very exciting especially when you know you just got the most awesome shot that the bride is going to love. I also get to meet all kinds of people and I find it very interesting how different people can be. Weddings are also very unpredictable which for me fun is. I hate routine, I love surprises.
6. What do you dislike the most?
The boring behind the scenes work, accounting, taxes, advertising, sitting in front of the computer for hours editing( although sometimes this can be fun if I’ve recently learned a new trick.
7. What sets your business apart from other photographers?
I actually give clients what they want and not what I think they should want. I listen to them carefully and try to get to know who they are. I try to work with what they can afford and not try to up-sale them. I try to remember what it was like being a bride planning a wedding trying desperately to stick to a budget so I can connect with them better on their level.
8. If I needed information on your business where would I go?
I have ads in the local yellow pages, I have a website with extensive information including pricing, and I also attend many of the local bridal shows on a regular basis.
9. Are your prices competitive?
Yes I have some of the best prices in the area
10. Do you offer anything new over the competition?
I offer artistic montages that other photographers do not and other special digital artistry. Clients can also purchase their negatives (digital files) with a copyright release. I also offer a large selection of albums anywhere from $45 to $2000 dollars from soft cover coffee table albums to beautiful Leather bound Flush mount albums. Most photographers don’t have such a large selection. I also let the couples pick their own images; a lot of photographers don’t allow this. They can even pick different images for their parent albums. They don’t all have to be identical. Each album is a unique piece of artwork.
11. Why should I choose you over all the other photographers around?
Because I’ll give you what you’re looking for, all you have to do is tell me. I can customize everything so your images reflect you and not a standard. I’m also very easy going and friendly. If things are running behind I would never start complaining about it and stressing out the bride. I’d try to help her, whatever she needed. Plus during the time people are hurriedly trying to get ready are some of the best shots. Those are the shots that show true personality. Interview by John Crouse